This great analysis by georgia10 of the Daily Kos showing what a truly remarkable victory this was by Barack Obama. John Presta.
Sat Jan 26, 2008 at 09:29:04 PM PST
Almost final results:99% of precincts reporting
Barack Obama 295,091 54% Hillary Clinton 141,128 27% John Edwards 93,552 19% Dennis Kucinich 551 0%
And some other numbers:
- Total 2008 South Carolina Primary Turnout
Democratic: about 530,322
Republican: about 446,000
- Obama received more votes than all Democrats in the 2004 South Carolina Democratic Primary (292,383)
- Obama received more votes in this primary than George W. Bush received in 2000 when he beat John McCain (Bush won 293,652 votes)
- Obama has won more votes than McCain and Huckabee won in South Carolina–combined.
- Republican turnout in the 2000 South Carolina GOP primary was about 573,000 (the state’s record). This appears to make this primary the second highest turnout in South Carolina history. In other words, Democrats are likely going to finish about 40,000 shy of what the GOP was ever able to crank out in a state where Republicans outnumber Democrats by a wide margin.